Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I love reading about what other people are cooking and eating! However, I'm not very good in the kitchen. But, when I got home from work last night Pat was napping on the couch after a 28 hour shift and I thought it was the perfect time to get started on dinner!

I found a recipe for tuna pomodoro from http://www.eatingwell.com/ that looked pretty decent and we even had all the ingredients in the house!

Here's what it looked like while cooking. Both Pat and I agreed that we would have this again. I'd probably make it a little spicier if it were just for me since I like it spicy. I think this would also be very good with chicken.

Makes 4 servings, about 1 cup each
ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy


8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 anchovies, minced (optional) - we omittied
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna, drained and flaked
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil


1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook spaghetti, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add anchovies (if using) and crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds more. Add tomatoes, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Stir in tuna and cook until it is incorporated into the sauce and heated through, 2 minutes more. Divide the spaghetti evenly among 4 plates, top with sauce and garnish with basil. Serve hot.

No comments: