Monday, June 18, 2012

Cloud Biscuits

Quite a few years ago I remember going through my Grandmother's recipes and noticing she had a lot of recipes for biscuits.  They were largely the same, with some slight variations.  I remember we made a few different recipes to find the one we liked the best.  Although it has been years, I still know that we thought the cloud biscuits were top notch.

For Father's Day this weekend we decided to have a cookout and I wanted to make some strawberry shortcake.  My favorite strawberry shortcake is on biscuits with real whipped cream.  So I searched the internet for cloud biscuits.  While I don't know if this is the exact recipe Gram had, I do know that this recipe was fabulous and will be my 'go-to' recipe for biscuits.

Source:  food.com


  • cups flour
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • egg
  • teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • tablespoon sugar

  • Directions:

    1. 1  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    2. 2  Mix dry ingredients.
    3. 3  Cut in shorting with a pastry blender or a couple butter knives.
    4. 4  Stir in milk and egg.
    5. 5  Knead with flour until doughy (not so sticky).
    6. 6  Roll out 3/4 to 1 inch and cut with biscuit cutter.
    7. 7  Place close together on an ungreased cookie sheet.
    8. 8  Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops begin to brown.
    9. 9  (check the bottoms to make sure they're cooked through).

    This made 9 biscuits and they were fabulous.  Here's a crappy cell picture to prove it!




    No comments: